Eight different UNC swimmers set records in intrasquad meet

Even though North Carolina swimmers were exhausted by a physically demanding week, the men’s and women’s swim teams demonstrated their commitment to the sport by shattering records at the Blue vs. White intrasquad meet Saturday.

Coach Rich DeSelm said that school work and two practices on Friday had also taken a toll on his swimmers.

“Their bodies are pretty beat up, and they’re tired,” DeSelm said.

But the Tar Heels didn’t let that affect them. Instead, they continued to rewrite the record books as 10 records were broken by eight different swimmers.

Senior swimmers Steve Cebertowicz and Laura Moriarty each set two University records. Nuffy Swanson, Tom Luchsinger, Katie Nolan, Stephanie Peacock and Patrick Myers also broke records.

Myers set the record for the 200-yard backstroke and Reed beat teammate Wil Singley’s record in the 200-yard freestyle. Both beat the records for their events by about one second. Luchsinger beat the 200-yard butterfly record by five-tenths of a second.

Nolan claimed the record for the 200-yard individual medley, and Peacock took the 1000-yard freestyle record by almost a whole second — beating a record set during the 2007 season when the UNC women most recently won the ACC championship.

Moriarty, who set records in the 200-yard butterfly and the 200-yard breaststroke, said she is anxious about how much she can push herself to contribute to the team in her final season.

“I’m at a really good spot right now that I haven’t been in (for) a while,” Moriarty said. “So I’m happy with it.”

Cebertowicz beat his own records in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle, and he said he’s pleased with what he’s seen out of his teammates — especially the newcomers.

“We’ve got a lot more (of a) competitive edge this year,” Cebertowicz said. “We’ve got some freshmen coming in that are just star athletes, and it’s driving some of the upperclassmen.”

The Tar Heels are intensifying their training so they can continue to take over the record books and ultimately win the ACC Championship.

UNC

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.