NCAA hearing to determine football program’s future

Not only are the members of North Carolina’s football team oblivious to the University’s NCAA Committee on Infractions hearing that’s taking place today, but like well-trained athletes, they’re not looking past Saturday.

“(I) didn’t even know it was on Friday, not concerned,” quarterback Bryn Renner said. “I’m ready to just play Wake Forest.”

But whether the players realize it or not, the program’s next few seasons could be defined by what happens today in Indianapolis — not by their play on the field.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions will hold a closed hearing on the nine major violations allegedly committed by the North Carolina football program, which will begin 8:30 a.m. today. After a call to order, all hearings begin with introductions, during which the participating individuals are introduced.

In UNC’s hearing today, athletic director Dick Baddour, Chancellor Holden Thorp, UNC faculty athletics representative Lissa Broome, University counsel Leslie Strohm and Associate Athletic Director for Compliance Amy Herman will represent the University.

Both Thorp and Broome declined to comment on the hearing.

Baddour also said the University’s outside legal counsel will accompany them along with two representatives from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

A representative from Tharrington Smith LLP, the firm representing former associate head coach John Blake, confirmed that their client will also be in attendance.

All parties involved — the institution, individuals named in the allegations and the NCAA — have the opportunity to make opening statements before a review of the allegations takes place.

On June 21, the NCAA issued UNC a notice of allegations that outlined nine major violations covering a range of issues from improper benefits to inappropriate relationships with agents.

The NCAA alleged that a former tutor for the football program, Jennifer Wiley, had provided both impermissible academic assistance to multiple players and provided $3,500 worth of benefits to student athletes, including parking ticket expenses, an airline ticket and free tutoring.

The NCAA also said that she failed to cooperate with the investigation.

The NCAA said that Blake was given $31,000 by Pro Tect Management for encouraging players to sign with agent Gary Wichard. Blake, too, did not provide relevant information to investigators, the NCAA said.

The notice of allegations also noted that seven UNC football players accepted $27,097.38 in benefits from several different individuals.

The NCAA held the University responsible for some of the exchange of impermissible benefits, alleging that UNC failed to properly monitor the program’s relationship with former Tar Heel Chris Hawkins, an individual the NCAA views as an agent.

In the University’s response to the allegations, it said that all allegations were substantially correct, except for the one alleging that the University failed to monitor the social networking activities of the football players.

But since the allegation is unprecedented, administrators don’t think the University should be held accountable.

In the response, the University instituted a new social media policy alongside strict self-imposed sanctions. The football team vacated all wins from the 2008 and 2009 seasons and decreased the number of scholarships by nine over a three-year period. The University also issued itself a fine of $50,000.

“We’ve been careful and deliberate in the sanctions that we placed on ourselves,” Baddour said. “We chose those after a very thoughtful process and so that’s what we think is appropriate. Whether or not the NCAA infractions committee will or not, I can’t say.”

The University and any individual named in the notice of allegations is given the opportunity to respond during the hearing. After the discussion of the allegations, each party is given a chance to make brief closing statements.

Then the waiting game begins.

“It certainly won’t be immediate,” Baddour said about the NCAA’s decision.

“I think it will be on out towards the end of the year, or the first of the year.”

According to NCAA.org, it typically takes between six to eight weeks to write the report and announce penalties, although complicating factors could extend that time frame.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com