New election software successful in Homecoming voting

7961_1031_homecoming_mccloyf.jpg
UNC football homecoming game vs. Wake Forest. Holly Roberts, english and pyschology major, and Clint Hannah, journalism and sports administration major, celebrate their victory as mr. and miss. UNC

As the 2011 Mr. and Miss UNC were crowned at the Homecoming game Saturday, members of the Board of Elections were pleased over something besides the results — the voting system.

The voting software, Collegiate Link, was tested for the first time during the Homecoming elections and was glitch free, said Shruthi Sundaram, chairwoman of the Board of Elections.

She said the board plans to use the software for all upcoming elections, including the student body president election in the spring semester.

Clint Hannah and Holly Roberts were named winners in this year’s Homecoming election, which garnered 2,312 total votes, compared to 2,612 votes last year.

Sundaram said she was happy with voter turnout, especially because the new voting system required voters to register first.

“We thought this might deter people from voting,” she said.

The system’s registration process requires students to enter their name and email before voting, and keeps them registered until graduation, she said.

The previous voting system was run through Information Technology Services, and featured occasional incidents in which students were unable to vote, Sundaram said.

That wasn’t the case this year, Sundaram said. “I didn’t get a single email,” she said. “As far as I know, every person who tried to vote was successful.”

Hannah was crowned Mr. UNC, winning the race by a tight margin. He received 807 votes, just two more than second-place finisher Chris Lyle.

Roberts was named Miss UNC by a wide margin, receiving 1,010 votes. Second-place finisher Camile Jones received 805 votes.

Now that the results are in, Hannah and Roberts will begin their service projects.

Hannah plans to meet with administrators at Club Nova, a center for people living with mental illness in Orange County, within the next two weeks.

They will discuss his plans to begin clothing drives to fund Club Nova’s thrift store and social events between club members and UNC students.

Roberts will begin her project — Tar Heels for the Troops — by recruiting more volunteers and planning events, such as setting up a store in the Pit to raise money for soldiers.

She said many students and community members have already expressed support for the project.

“There is a lot of hope and promise for the project in the future.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.