The on-campus bailout: In fairness to Student Congress, groups must seek funding sooner

Funding for student organizations is tight every year, but recent cuts to departmental and program budgets have put an unexpected squeeze on organizational funding this semester. To fill the gap, organizations have turned to Student Congress in record numbers, requesting far more than the $155,000 available for the fall. Student Congress should respond to these challenges tonight by expanding the amount available for the fall.

While this step is needed to make up for tighter external funding, student groups must do a better job of anticipating expenses and requesting funds early. Groups that fail to do so should not be eligible for funding.

With $258,527.95 in requests this semester alone, there will be groups that do not receive funding, even with an expansion in allocations this year. By approving tonight’s requests, Student Congress would tap into its spring budget and make an additional $16,000 available for worthy projects and events.

These include Journey into Asia, a perennial event which highlights Asian culture at UNC, the publication Cellar Door and Carolina Creates, a new initiative to help expand organizational funding by seeking out new alumni donors.

Though these projects deserve funding, Student Congress should not have to bail out other organizations at the 11th hour. But that is exactly what several student organizations expect this year.

For example, the Student National Medical Association requested $2,840 for an annual banquet held this past Saturday despite knowing that Student Congress would not hear the request until tonight.

Another group, First Amendment Law Review, requested $4,370 for a Friday symposium that involves paying to bring in numerous panelists.

How these groups would pay for these events if Student Congress declines their requests is unknown and puts representatives in an unfair position.

If student organizations are going to expect Student Congress to foot an ever-increasing portion of their expenses, they need to do their part and submit requests in a timely manner that does not force another (student) government bailout.