UNC senior runs PAWS in-home animal rescue

It took Courage for Erin Holdaway to start her own in-home animal rescue organization.

For Holdaway, Courage came as a pit bull that the senior biology major adopted from the Nash County Animal Shelter as the first resident of PAWS, or Protecting Animals with Service.

Holdaway and her boyfriend, Nick Stewart, founded the in-house rescue last April.

Shortly after her adoption, Courage was diagnosed with lung cancer, abdominal cancer and heart failure.

Holdaway, who works at the Triangle Veterinary Hospital, took care of Courage until she passed away in July.

“Though her loss devastated Nick and I, we decided to continue on with our rescue and let it serve as an important lesson to us — that every single life is worth saving,” she said.

PAWS takes in animals that are usually old, sick or aggressive and are less likely to be adopted, Holdaway said.

“Those are the ones who need the chance the most,” she said.

At first, the couple set a limit of six animals, but lately it has been taking in as many as ten, Stewart said.

The couple now has three cats, three dogs and a turtle, plus four pets of their own.

And they recently adopted out their first pets — two one-legged ducks.

But adopting out animals is not always an easy task.

Holdaway and Stewart have had trouble placing Maggie, an eight-year-old black lab, whose age and inability to be around other animals have made her difficult to adopt out.

“But Maggie is a dream to have,” Holdaway said.

Holdaway said beyond adopting challenges, sustaining her rescue can be tough.

“The most difficult part of the job is the daily maintenance and time commitment associated with caring for the animals,” Stewart said. “As well having a regular job so we can afford them.”

Holdaway estimated she and Stewart spend $400 per month to run the animal rescue.

But she said costs have added up to more than $650 a month.

To finance some of their costs, the couple began selling homemade dog treats at local veterinary hospitals.

Despite their efforts, Holdaway estimates they still pay for more than 75 percent of medical bills.

Holdaway said her rescue takes in cats with feline immunodeficiency virus that would otherwise be euthanized.

“Erin has a heart for animals that is bigger than anyone’s I have seen,” said Lorena Raye, manager of Triangle Veterinary Hospital.

“What makes Erin and her organization special is her devotion,” Raye said. “It’s her dedication to the best possible outcome for each of these animals.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.