UNC students infrequently cited for possessing a fake ID

After working as a bouncer for 15 years, Matt Holtry can spot a fake ID with just a glance.

“I used to have fake IDs when I was underage so I’ve researched it a lot,” said Holtry, who works security at East End Oyster and Martini Bar. “I know what they look like. When someone comes here with a fake ID I just tell them to f—k off.”

But the bar’s policy is to politely return the ID instead of reporting the fraud to the police, Holtry said.

On an average Tuesday night at East End, Holtry said he spots between 20 to 50 fake IDs.

But the Chapel Hill Police Department has only 16 reports of possession of a fraudulent use of identification on record from January to late September, according to reports.

“Any business that stops somebody is supposed to call the police and turn that ID over,” said Sgt. Joshua Mecimore, a spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department. “That way we can talk to the person about why they have that ID and find out where they got it.”

But Holtry said bars and restaurants are encouraged to — not required to — give fake IDs to police.

He said that taking the IDs also makes bad business sense.

Jack Sprat Cafe bartender Nick Stroud agrees.

“Honestly, it’s a college town,” Stroud said. “There are so many bars in this town. You don’t want people going ‘these guys crack down’.”

By taking away somebody’s fake ID, a bouncer hurts their image and business, Aquino explained.

“As soon as you turn 21, we’re happy to serve you,” he said.

Aquino said in a town where most underage students have friends who can bring them business or will turn 21 fairly soon, the bars try to avoid building a reputation for being strict.

Holtry said being reported with a fake ID can bring harsh punishment for students.

“I’m not trying to get somebody kicked out of college for being a college student,” he said.

The Division of Alcohol Law Enforcement recommends that bars legally seize the ID and turn it over to law enforcement, said Jeff Lasater, special agent for the District Four Office of ALE.

But when it comes to checking IDs or serving a drink, business sometimes comes first, Stroud said.

“If somebody comes in with a fake ID, usually it’s an older brother or sister or somebody that’s passed it down to them,” he said.

“You know, honestly I’ve been so busy I’ve looked at them and passed it back and given them something. It just happens. It’s part of the job.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.