Wolfe lecturer Al Young says ‘share self with others’

7594_1005_thomaswolfe_poteatf.jpg

Al Young was the 2011 Thomas Wolfe Lecturer.

The exchange of ancient wisdom through storytelling is essential for the survival of humanity, the 2011 Thomas Wolfe lecturer said to an audience of about 75 people in Historic Playmakers Theatre on Tuesday.

Al Young, a novelist, poet, essayist and screenwriter, read excerpts from both his and Thomas Wolfe’s work during the speech, pointing out parallel themes and inspirations.

“Every day something astonishing happens,” Young said. “Listen, and you will hear a story.”

He stressed creativity’s role in preserving the human race.

“Creativity is the only faculty that will save our species,” he said.

He advised students and writers to savor the “beginner’s mind.” For the beginner, there are infinite possibilities, Young said.

Everybody that has something to offer will be needed, and nothing is impossible, he said.

Young received $5,000 and a medal as part of the Thomas Wolfe Prize, awarded annually.

In addition to advising young writers on their craft, Young left the audience with a responsibility of stewardship to the Earth.

He encouraged the audience to remember that all parts of Earth are alive, and when treated as such, one will feel an enriching connection with everything else.

Young credits prolific reading and exposure to oral culture during childhood for the foundation of his writing destiny.

As a college student, Young became interested in language itself, which he said taught him how to tell a story.

Joel Sronce, a junior American studies major, said Young created a calm and intimate atmosphere.

“It was clear that he really wanted to invoke something in the audience that he thought was important,” Sronce said.

Between discussing human mysticism and spirituality, music as an extension of the self and the importance of seeking various mediums of culture, Young utilized elements of humor.

While reading a poem from one of his collections, Young paused for a moment, laughing.

“This is much too long,” he said. “You can get this book used on Amazon.”

But Young never strayed far from his central themes.

Noah Crosson, a senior Latin American studies major, said Young was eccentric but had valid points.

“Sometimes writers just try to be as weird as possible,” he said.

“He wasn’t afraid to tell it how it was about the South, the economy, art or culture.”

Above all else, Young emphasized the importance of art as part of the human spirit.

“The biggest treasure of all is people sharing themselves with others,” he said. “If that happens, there are no boundaries.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.