Chapel Hill reviewing police actions in raid on Yates Motor Building

Chapel Hill town staff is conducting an official review of the Nov. 13 police raid of the former Yates Motor Company building.

The review process includes an internal investigation by the police department and additional review by town committees, according to a memorandum from town manager Roger Stancil.

Catherine Lazorko, the town’s spokeswoman, said the review came in response to the Chapel Hill Town Council’s concerns and public outcry after the raid, which some considered an improper use of police force.

Earlier this month, police sent a team armed with assault rifles to break up protesters who were occupying the Yates building.

Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue said police also have an internal review under way, and the results will be submitted to the town manager as part of the larger review process.

He said this investigation isn’t unique, and the department reviews its actions regularly.

According to Stancil’s memo, the Community Policing Advisory Committee and Justice in Action Committee will be able to review how town policies were implemented during the raid.

A report will eventually be compiled and submitted to both the Town Council and public.

Lazorko said the town has done its best to respond quickly to concerns since the police raid, citing multiple council meetings and press releases.

“We are trying our best to get information before the public as quickly as possible,” she said.

She said she was unsure of an exact timeline for the review.

Members of the Occupy Chapel Hill movement have had different responses to the town’s actions.

Occupiers have said the police raid and subsequent review by the town have drawn more attention to their cause.

Alex Hollyel, a member of the Occupy Chapel Hill movement, considered the police response overboard and hopes the review leads to a change in policy.

Another occupier, John Kertzie, said while he agreed he would like to see more regulations on the police, the public’s reaction to the raid has blown the situation out of proportion.

“The cops were doing their jobs,” he said. “I don’t see why people are so bent on how much ammo and guns they have.”

According to Stancil’s memo, town staff will be reaching out to local media to address concerns about two reporters handcuffed during the raid.

“Some cities have policies for the treatment of media at police crime scenes,” Lazorko said. “Chapel Hill has no such policies.”

The memo said Stancil is working with The (Raleigh) News & Observer to develop policies regarding police and press interaction in similar situations.

Stancil added in the memo that he hopes the review will lead to mutual confidence and respect between the Chapel Hill community and police.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.