Dive Recommends, Nov. 17, 2011

Album from the Vault:
Session II, Session II: Originally intended as a demonstration album for late 1970s Yamaha studio gear, this album features the work of jazz guitarist Lee Ritenour and a more-than-compitent backing band. Opener “All Night Lover” brings a distinct, early acid jazz flavor (and it tastes a lot like cheese). Who ripped off Roger Dean for the logo?

Movie from the Vault:
“Children of Men”: Is a 5-year-old scifi flick old enough to be considered ‘from the vault’? Probably not. But if you haven’t seen Alfonso Cuarón’s dystopian rendition of a future without fertility, do yourself a favor and check out the brutally realistic single-shot action sequences. We have a feeling you’ll find a friend in Jasper Palmer (Michael Caine).

Events:

Thursday
Manchester Orchestra, White Denim, The Dear Hunter
Cat’s Cradle | Ready for an early night of mellow rock? Hit up the Cradle. You won’t be disappointed with Manchester’s chilled-out, low-key tunes — and it’s early enough to still go to bed at a decent hour. 6:30/7:30 p.m., $16/$19

Saturday
Hammer No More the Fingers, Lonnie Walker, Free Electric State
Nightlight | Hammer No More the Fingers always deliver exciting, energetic punk-tinged tunes. Free Electric State opens with dark rock, Lonnie Walker follows with energetic southern rock. It’ll be a solid night of locally-grown goodness. 9/9:30 p.m. ,$6/$8

Jeffrey Lewis and the Junkyard, Matt Northrup
Duke Coffeehouse | Anti-folk hero Jeffrey Lewis takes the stage in Durham. Check this one out if you’re down for some quirky songs about Pitchfork and such. 8:30/9 p.m., $5

Kingsbury Manx, Lilac Shadows
Local 506 | Local act Kingsbury Manx headlines with pleasant indie rock. Lilac Shadows brings together former members of The Huguenots with current members of T0W3RS. 9/9:30 p.m. ,$5