Ensemble cast drives ‘Guys and Dolls’

8265_1114_guysanddolls_keyf.jpg
Pauper's Players rehearse for this weekend's performances of Guys and Dolls.

Pauper Players’ production of the classic musical “Guys and Dolls” is driven by its strong ensemble.

The witty remarks and heartfelt songs delivered by a small yet talented cast bring to life the show’s wise-cracking guys and saucy dolls.

The cast’s charisma creates a vividly specific world filled with crap-shooting wise guys, brazen showgirls and virtuous philanthropists.

With a minimal set on the ArtsCenter’s stage, Pauper relied on the music and lyrics to tell the celebrated story to Saturday night’s full house of 325 audience members.

Pauper Players, which has struggled to find a permanent performance venue, did not have trouble getting students to the ArtsCenter’s Carrboro location to see the show.

Though the world of gambling has a strong presence in the musical, the heart of the plot is in the development of two central relationships.

Emily Ellis plays Adelaide, one of the musical’s leads.

As she belts out the clever lyrics of “Adelaide’s Lament,” Ellis captivates as she confides in the audience about her long overdue marriage and unchangeable fiance.

Matt Jacques’ bewildered innocence as Nathan Detroit and Ellis’ sweet-yet-sassy persona cause the audience to fall for the lovable — and occasionally dysfunctional — couple.

Equally rich is the relationship that develops between Sky and Save-A-Soul mission worker Sarah Brown, the result of a bet between Nathan and Sky.

Senior Alexander Daly confidently portrays the handsome Sky. His sonorous, rich tenor does justice to crooning tunes like “Luck Be A Lady.”

As the philanthropic Sarah, Erin Farley maintains a strong presence on stage.

Her soprano, though occasionally over the top, is impressive, and she demands the audience’s attention.

The acting prowess of these Pauper veteran actors carries director Hayley Wright’s creation to fruition.

Lulls in the performance are seldom because of flashy dance numbers and sharp dialogue, which carry the plot forward.

But at times, the supporting cast members lack in the departments of stage presence and character development.

The comedic duo of Miles Herr and Cameron Nadler, as Nicely Nicely Johnson and Benny Southstreet, respectively, provide many laughs for the audience, but their jokes are often on the verge of slapstick.

It is in the big numbers like “Sit Down, You’re Rocking the Boat” — led by Herr — that the company shines in choreography and energy.

Powerhouse vocals, well-executed choreography and nuanced acting skills combine in this Pauper production to create an overall successful and energetic performance.

Contact the Arts Editor

at arts@dailytarheel.com.