Names of 7 arrested in Occupy break-up released

Chapel Hill Police Department has released the names of seven people arrested Sunday for breaking and entering the abandoned Yates Motor Company at 419 West Franklin Street.

Ellen Crawford, 23, of Richmond, Va.; Kassandra Ofray, 21, of Pittsboro; Jack Jarell, 24, and David Maliken, 24, of Carrboro; and Eva Jones, 22, Daniel Regenscheit, 27, and Monica Ganguly, 29, of Chapel Hill were all arrested, according a press release released Monday. All were charged with misdemeanor breaking and entering.

A police department release Sunday night had stated that eight people were arrested.

Chapel Hill police used its tactical team to secure and enter the building Sunday after a group of roughly 70 people broke into it and began occupying the vacant space Saturday night.

Police had monitored the building since the start of the occupation — a spin-off of the Occupy Wall Street movement and similar building occupations happening nationwide. However, they waited to secure the building until the crowd was at a manageable size, the release states.

“Chapel Hill Police officers gathered additional information and verified the presence of known anarchist members in the group,” the release states. The release identifies the group’s obstruction of windows and patrol on the building’s roof as causes of concern.

The occupiers in the building were a distinct group from Occupy Chapel Hill, which has been camped out in Peace and Justice Plaza since Oct. 15.