Mary Cooper seeks student input on tuition

Photo: Mary Cooper seeks student input on tuition (Lauren Piemont)
Student Body President Mary Cooper discusses tuition at the Tuition Forum Presentation in Murphy 116 on Wednesday, November 9. The forum consisted of a presentation, group work, and students expressing their thoughts about tuition. The purpose of the forums is to make an effort to reach as many students as possible. She expressed the importance of student priority as well as the importance of a college education in this economy.

Attendance dwindled at Student Body President Mary Cooper’s third day of tuition forums.

On Wednesday, a total of 13 students attended two separate forums where Cooper solicited opinion on tuition increase proposals.
In spite of the small turnout, Cooper said she was encouraged by student response.

“The quality of questions has been outstanding,” Cooper said. “They’re innovative ideas, they’re thoughtful, concerning questions,” she said.

Questions and answers

STUDENT: How are other public schools paying our professors more to go there? How are they doing it and we can’t?

COOPER: At other universities, tuition is a larger percentage of their budget, so they charge their students more. If you think about UVa. or Michigan or California, they’re kind of going through what we’re currently going through with our state legislature.

Basically, we are a state-supported university at the moment. Those schools are now describing themselves as state-assisted, so a much smaller portion of their total budget and revenue coming in is reliant on the state.

STUDENT: I think something that might be missing here is what the effects of a tuition increase are on the student body, and looking at universities that are peer institutions in terms of being public universities that have raised tuition. I think it’s really important to take into account that diversity in socioeconomic status and racial diversity has decreased in these universities because of tuition increases.

COOPER: I would love to hear the exact numbers on how the diversity has changed. I’ve been working with (interim director of the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs Terri Houston) and Provost (Bruce) Carney to answer a lot of these questions because it is important.

Cooper’s reaction

Cooper said a lot of students have voiced concern that the University is trying to find a quick fix to the budget shortfall.

She said UNC is already beginning to feel the effects of budget cuts and administrators are trying to fill that gap as quickly as possible to avoid sacrificing UNC’s standing as a top-tier public university.

Cooper sits on the tuition and fee advisory task force, which will vote Monday on a tuition proposal to present to the Board of Trustees.

“If there is a time for students to say what they believe, it is now,” Cooper said.

Today’s tuition forum will be held at 8 p.m. in Carroll 111.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.