LFIT courses incorporate CPR/AED training in pilot program

Starting this semester, some students will be able to gain more from their lifetime fitness classes than several frosty mornings on Hooker Fields.

The executive branch of student government, UNC’s American Red Cross Club and the exercise and sport science department have partnered to incorporate CPR/AED training into some of this semester’s LFIT courses.

The pilot program, which launched Monday, will be added to seven of the LFIT sections, said Becca Battaglini, director of the Lifetime Fitness Program.

She said about 125 students will be part of pilot classes to test the program.

Four of the classes meet at 8 a.m. and three meet at 3 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, she said.

The training will be free for students, but to become CPR/AED certified outside of class, they will have to pay a $19 processing fee required by the Red Cross.

Student Body Vice President Zealan Hoover said someone would normally have to spend $80 and attend a training session off campus for about five hours in order to become certified. This program will instead make the process much simpler by reducing costs and time, he said.

The training is part of Student Body President Mary Cooper’s platform, which pledged to incorporate first-aid training into the LFIT curriculum.

Hoover worked with both the UNC Red Cross Club and the exercise and sport science department during the last few months to integrate the program into LFIT classes, he said.

“We spent a lot of time trying to keep costs low,” Hoover said, adding that the only cost associated with the project is the optional certification fee.

Caroline Jones, president of the UNC Red Cross Club, said the club has several instructors available to accommodate students who want to become certified.

All students in the pilot program will participate in the academic portion, which consists of an online module that provides CPR/AED information, as well as a quiz on the module’s material.

“It will basically be a PowerPoint presentation that gives the nuts and bolts of this training,” Battaglini said.

She said the online module is a more efficient method than lectures of the same material.

The Red Cross Club will provide the CPR/AED instructors to facilitate training for students who want to become certified.

Cooper said the program will be evaluated at the end of the semester in order to see where it can be improved.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.