No more clowns, no more circus: The 2012 SBP elections must not repeat last year's mistakes

As student body president campaigns kick into high gear, candidates must make a concerted effort to have a friendly, cordial election season.

It is the candidates’ responsibility to make sure this year remains free of the shenanigans that plagued last year’s student elections.

Student government would lose a great deal of credibility if debates again devolved into the tiresome back-and-forth that dominated headlines last year.

The joke at the time was that the election was three clowns short of a circus — but then one of the candidates actually rode through the Pit on a pony.

Last year’s saga of infractions, student lawsuits and bullying did nothing to help the candidates involved.

But it did a great deal to corrode the legitimacy of student government as a whole.

UNC students enjoy an exceptional level of self-governance when compared to our peers: an entirely student-run honor system, a vigorous student legislative body to shape the Student Code and a robust executive branch.

We have a student attorney general, a student speaker of Congress and even a student chief of staff.

Most importantly, however, we have a student body president who is a voting member of the Board of Trustees.

In top form, student government is a terrific resource for UNC’s student body; our student body president is respected as a voice for this university’s large and diverse student population.

This year’s candidates must conduct campaigns that indicate they respect the position they are vying to fill.