Republican debate precedes New Hampshire primary

CONCORD, N.H. — The pressure was on Sunday morning as the six Republican presidential candidates took to the stage for the last time before Tuesday’s primary in New Hampshire.

The candidates argued about business and foreign policy and agreed about the threat of re-electing President Barack Obama during NBC’s “Meet the Press” debate Sunday morning.

In Concord, N.H., on a street with small coffee shops and boutiques, voters came out in full force in support of their favorite Republican candidates. They lined up on Main Street outside the Capitol Center for the Arts, where the debate was held
Newspapers and broadcast news stations have chronicled the candidates’ campaign paths throughout New Hampshire. With so many small-town campaign stops and back-to-back debates this weekend, there was a clear tension among the candidates to get their final messages out before polls open Tuesday.

Candidates ganged up on Mitt Romney, hoping to topple him from his lead.

A recent poll shows that Romney’s sizeable lead could be slipping slightly in the state, according to McClatchy news reports.

The Suffolk University/7News tracking poll showed the former Massachusetts governor with the support of 35 percent of likely voters, Ron Paul with 20 percent, Jon Huntsman with 11 percent, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with 9 percent, former Sen. Rick Santorum with 8 percent and Gov. Rick Perry of Texas with 1 percent. Fifteen percent were undecided, according to McClatchy news reports.

Candidates answered questions ranging from gay rights and working with Democrats to job creation, federal spending and the New Hampshire motto, “Live free or die.”

While no candidate was the clear favorite among audience members, the audience agreed about at least one thing ­— the importance of loyalty to the state and country.

Huntsman was met with resounding applause when he rebuffed Romney for criticizing his position as ambassador to China in Obama’s administration.

“This nation is divided, David, because of attitudes like that,” Huntsman said. “Like my two sons are doing in the U.S. Navy, they’re not asking what political affiliation the president is. I want to be very clear with the people here in New Hampshire and this country, I will always put my country first.”

The candidates also argued about who is the most electable.
Both Santorum and Gingrich took shots at Romney, criticizing his ability to be a conservative leader and speak within the allotted debate time.

“I realize the red light doesn’t mean anything to you because you’re the frontrunner,” Gingrich said, prompting boos from the audience.

Audience members thought the debate went well, compared to the one on Saturday night.

“I think people want to hear what they have to say about substantial issues,” said James Wieczorek, a North Hampton, N.H., resident who is working on Gingrich’s campaign. “They’re getting that more today than last night. It’s more informative.”

Out of the many audience members interviewed following the debate, no one thought there was a clear winner. Only Tuesday’s results will provide a definitive answer.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.