An underutilized resource: Students should be more aware of artistic performances at UNC

Memorial Hall is quite possibly the most unique resource on campus. It’s a shame that more students don’t take advantage of it.

When the Bolshoi Ballet — widely considered the greatest ballet company in the world — came west from St. Petersburg, Russia in 2009, it made just two stops in the United States: New York City and Chapel Hill.

Since the auditorium reopened in fall 2005 following its renovations, the lineup has been a veritable who’s who of music of all genres, from Herbie Hancock (coming March 22) to the London Philharmonic and even Stomp, complete with musical trash cans.

Still coming this year are modern masters of jazz Christian McBride and Wynton Marsalis, not to mention the first recent Chapel Hill appearance of Bela Fleck and his original band the Flecktones.

Even better than the access students have to these stellar acts is the price at which the access comes. Students can buy tickets to almost every act that comes to Memorial Hall for just $10.

In terms of a price-to-prestige ratio, Memorial Hall is the best bargain in Chapel Hill. Some of the most famous acts in the world, who command ticket prices of well over $100 from the general public are available to students for a fraction of this.

And music isn’t the only offering from Memorial Hall and its esteemed executive director, Emil Kang. The world-renowned Alvin Ailey dance troupe just came through the auditorium this week.

The time we spend at UNC is the only time we have to exploit such amazing resources and get such a broad swath of culture delivered to our doorstep.

Nowhere else will the cost of two beers get you an intimate atmosphere with one of the best musicians or dance or theater companies in the world, so take advantage of it.