Dive Recommends, Feb. 9, 2012

Donald Fagen,: Behind the snappy hi-hats, plucky synths and fat Walter Becker bass lines, there’s something wierdly sci-fi about 1993’s Kamakiriad. The album follows the owner of a brand new Kamakiri — a steam-powered, carbon-neutral car with a built-in hydroponic farm — driving around, sipping cocktails with swingers and listening to computer-generated music. I can only hope the future is this cheesy and bass-heavy.“And Now For Something Completely Different” This 1971 movie was basically a bunch of sketches from “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” re-taped and put together for an American audience — but you’ll hear no complaints about that here. Included are classic bits like “Lumberjack Song,” “Upper Class Twit of the Year” and “Hell’s Grannies.” It’s goofy and weird but spectacularly fun, something all of us could use more of from time to time.

Holy Ghost Tent Revival, Brave Baby

Lincoln Theatre | Holy Ghost Tent Revival may be from Greensboro, but the Triangle is just about the band’s second home. Its wild energy and upbeat tunes are always worth seeing — and for under $10, you’re getting a great show for less than what it would cost to see a movie. And there are very few movies that could keep you as entertained as Holy Ghost Tent Revival. Trust us. 8/9 p.m., $7/9

Fountains of Wayne, The Stars Explode

Cat’s Cradle | Remember that song “Stacy’s Mom”? The band that wrote it, Fountains of Wayne, is back in the business and making a stop at the Cradle. But don’t expect the same sweet Top-40 pop-rock — the band has moved more in the direction of folk- and country-tinged rock ’n’ roll. It’s an unexpected transition to say the least, but that’s not to say it’s not a surprisingly decent one. Local pop rockers The Stars Explode open the show. 8/9 p.m., $20/23

WXYC Valentine’s Dance Party

Nightlight | WXYC comes back with its annual Valentine’s Dance Party! It doesn’t matter if you’re single, with a significant other or have some kind of arrangement that falls in between. Nor does it matter if you’re convinced that Valentine’s Day is a Hallmark-manufactured holiday that’s hellbent on robbing you of your money or that it’s the most romantic holiday ever. Go out. Dance a lot. Act up. Have fun. 9/9:30 p.m., $5

Big Lebowski: The Musical

Motorco | Someone apparently decided that the best way to make the Coen brothers’ cult comedy The Big Lebowski more awesome would be to make it a musical. It originally opened at the Nightlight in December, but is back for a two-night run in Durham. We’re not too sure what all it entails, but the combination of music and one of our favorite movies is pretty tempting. The Dive abides. 8 p.m., $10/12