North Carolina men’s tennis wins 7-0 against Navy

No. 17 North Carolina had already clinched the match against Navy at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Friday, but three Tar Heels needed a shortened third set to clinch their singles matches.

When a team has already clinched a dual match and players still playing split the opening two sets of their singles match, a super tiebreaker substitutes for an entire third set. The player to first win 10 points, by a margin of at least two, wins.

“It would be good for us to play our third sets out because it gets you in better shape” UNC coach Sam Paul said. “It’s good to get on and off the court quickly, but more so later in the season than this early in the season.”

UNC’s Joey Burkhardt, Esben Hess-Olesen and Taylor Meyer all prevailed against their opponents in super tiebreakers to help UNC to its 7-0 victory against Navy.

“It definitely helped us today because we’re a little beat up,” Paul said. “Some guys got some nagging injuries that we’ve been milking a little bit, so it’s good to get on and off the court quickly.”

After losing the first set of his singles match, Burkhardt benefited from the shorter third set to seal his win.

Because of Jose Hernandez’s absence, Burkhardt was moved up to court 3 where he faced Navy’s Calvin Mark, who was previously undefeated in dual matches. Hernandez is representing his native Dominican Republic in the Davis Cup.

Burkhardt jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first set but lost five of the next seven games to set up a tiebreaker. During opponent Calvin Mark’s first-set comeback, Burkhardt responded to an unforced error by kicking the ball off a nearby wall in frustration.

Two unforced errors by Burkhardt, a forehand into the net and a missed volley helped Mark win the first set 7-6.

Burkhardt responded by breaking Mark to take a 3-2 lead in the second set. He almost broke Mark again when leading 4-2, but a lob shot by that he argued was in was ruled long.

Burkhardt did not fail to capitalize in Mark’s next service game. He hit two running winners before Mark had an unforced error, winning the second set 6-3.

UNC had already clinched the match 4-0 when Burkhardt’s second set ended, setting up a super tiebreaker.

The Tar Heel senior, who transferred from Florida after his sophomore year, showed his resolve in the first point of the super tiebreaker. A shot by Mark glanced over the net, but Burkhardt sprinted to flip it back over for a winner just before its second bounce.

Burkhardt never trailed in the tiebreaker, hitting four more winners before Mark’s forehand sailed long to clinch the match.

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@dailytarheel.com.