Carrboro occupiers want guerilla garden instead of CVS

Members of Carrboro Commune plan to announce the details of their “guerilla gardening” protest Wednesday, possibly interrupting a neighborhood meeting that CVS representatives are scheduled to hold.

The plan comes after the protestors’ unsuccessful attempt Saturday to permanently occupy an empty, CVS-owned building at 201 N. Greensboro St., where CVS wants to relocate their Carrboro store.

Carrboro Commune members plan to grow herbal and edible plants for the community and begin a beautification project at the site on March 17, a press release states.

Alanna Davis, a member of Carrboro Commune, said the plan is designed to benefit all members of the community.

“Sometimes you just have to do what you think, and what you know to be right,” she said. “That can mean open dialogue with the officials. That’s why we’re going to the meeting tomorrow — that has long been on our agenda.”

Capt. Walter Horton of the Carrboro police said he did not anticipate the need for increased security at the meeting.

“We’ll probably have just increased patrols in the area, but at this time we don’t have any plans to have any officers in the audience,” he said.

Carrboro Alderman Michelle Johnson said she is worried the Saturday occupation could also have a negative effect on the neighbors’ discussions with CVS representatives, whose permit applications for the new site are still pending.

“I think it could de-legitimize the work that’s already been done,” Johnson said. “My main concern is that the folks that took action on Saturday never spoke to the people on the street or who live in the neighborhood close to that.”

Ben Levinthal, a Carrboro resident, said he thinks the Saturday occupation helped Carrboro Commune to spread a message.

“I was walking by and I was intrigued,” he said. “To me, it opens up discussion points and that I think helps their cause.”

Davis said Carrboro Commune is working to keep communication open with other community members.

“My one big thing is making sure that in all of our actions, the message is clear,” she said.

“We’re not a bunch of dirty hippies that feel entitled to some land because we don’t work — we are part of a larger movement that is trying to rebuild the American community.”

But concerns following the occupation could result in CVS taking stricter measures to protect its property.

“The past weekend’s activities have not altered our plans to relocate our Carrboro store,” Mike DeAngelis, a spokesman for CVS, said in an email. “We will be taking steps to secure the property over the next several days.”

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.