ORLANDO, Fla. (MCT) — Mitt Romney’s victory Tuesday in Florida’s presidential primary — the first test of electoral strength in a big, diverse state this year — will establish him firmly as the overwhelming favorite to win the Republican presidential nomination.

Yet even if the former Massachusetts governor rolls up the double-digit victory in the Sunshine State that late polls predicted, he can’t claim the prize yet.

His three major rivals vow to wage spirited campaigns in upcoming states, and if conservatives were to rally around a single candidate, Romney could face a prolonged battle that could weaken him in November’s general election.

But at the moment, almost everything is breaking his way — and the path forward seems to favor him. The next test comes Saturday in Nevada, which Romney won easily in 2008. The rest of February features caucuses and primaries in Maine, Colorado, Minnesota and Michigan. Romney won each four years ago, and he’s a strong favorite in each again.

Arizona has a primary Feb. 28; Romney lost it in 2008 to John McCain, the state’s senior senator and eventual nominee. This year, McCain is backing Romney.

Romney has far more money and organizational strength than any rival. His Florida campaign demonstrated an ability to rebound quickly from a staggering loss 10 days earlier in South Carolina to Newt Gingrich, a former speaker of the House of Representatives. Romney pivoted from running largely against President Barack Obama to some old-fashioned bashing of the enemy before him, Gingrich. It seemed to work.

Romney’s strength is no surprise to seasoned analysts.

“The Romney nomination has been very likely all along,” said Larry Sabato, the director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics.

Romney now has a different challenge: vanquish his remaining rivals as quickly as possible, so that any doubts about him they raise in voters’ minds can be forgotten.

“The longer this goes on, the more difficulty Romney faces,” Sabato said.