Tea Talk hosts discussion on student government’s effectiveness

(left to right): Lauren Donoghue (sophomore, Environmental Health Sciences major), Stephanie Schwemlein (sophomore, Public Health Environmental Health sciences major). Jerry Knight (Junior, Public Relations Journalism major), Natalie Borrego (sophomore, Political Science and Global studies double major), and Will Leimenstoll (Junior, Environmental Studies and Geography major). 

Will asked students about what they want student government to do for them. The students expressed their interest in knowing what student government does. "Students want to know now they can voice their opinion," said Jerry Knight.

Tea Talks are held in the Union every month. This week they talked about what student government does for the student body. "The Tea Talks are about meeting people at Carolina with different experiences so you can learn more about each other," said Elizabeth Merritt (Junior, Public Policy and Peace War and Defense double major, on the organizing committee for the tea talks). Former student body president, John Saunders, came to the event to talk to the students. "The most important part of student government is continuity- from generation to generation, from student to student," he said. Newly elected student body president, Will Leimenstoll, came to the event and said the event was very informative for him. "This input is very helpful in the process. Its a huge diverse group of students. I am very glad to be here," he said. Gaining greater access to information about what the student government does was a main topic of interest during the tea talk.
(left to right): Lauren Donoghue (sophomore, Environmental Health Sciences major), Stephanie Schwemlein (sophomore, Public Health Environmental Health sciences major). Jerry Knight (Junior, Public Relations Journalism major), Natalie Borrego (sophomore, Political Science and Global studies double major), and Will Leimenstoll (Junior, Environmental Studies and Geography major). Will asked students about what they want student government to do for them. The students expressed their interest in knowing what student government does. "Students want to know now they can voice their opinion," said Jerry Knight. Tea Talks are held in the Union every month. This week they talked about what student government does for the student body. "The Tea Talks are about meeting people at Carolina with different experiences so you can learn more about each other," said Elizabeth Merritt (Junior, Public Policy and Peace War and Defense double major, on the organizing committee for the tea talks). Former student body president, John Saunders, came to the event to talk to the students. "The most important part of student government is continuity- from generation to generation, from student to student," he said. Newly elected student body president, Will Leimenstoll, came to the event and said the event was very informative for him. "This input is very helpful in the process. Its a huge diverse group of students. I am very glad to be here," he said. Gaining greater access to information about what the student government does was a main topic of interest during the tea talk.

Sipping tea and eating muffins, students debated student government’s capability to create real change.

At the monthly Tea Talk Thursday, 30 students shared their views on how student government could be improved.

Tea Talks are hosted by nine student organizations, such as the Black Student Movement and the Campus Y, and are open to all students.

“It just seems like a timely topic given that there have been student elections and that we are in the wake of the tuition battle,” said Ben Elkind, co-director of Tea Talks.

“A lot of students have these questions on their minds, and they are thinking about what student government can do and should do.”

John Sanders, UNC’s student body president in 1950-1951, opened the talk by asking students to continue improving student government while upholding its established responsibilities.

“You are the carriers of a long tradition that you will pass on to your successor,” he said. “There needs to be continuity from generation to generation.”

Elizabeth Merritt, a member of the planning committee, raised the question of what students reasonably expect student government to do for them when students do not want to get involved.

“Most students haven’t tried to figure out what student government is doing,” said Garrison Gordon, a freshman.

“We need to balance that apathy with getting news out to people.”

He said student government should publicize projects and make information accessible.

Alexis Davis, a junior public relations major, said student apathy is the main cause of discontent with student government.

“A lot of students don’t care, and they complain after the fact,” she said.

Students also talked about the powers of the student body president and whether he or she can make permanent changes.

“I don’t want a student body president to change what the Board of Trustees says,” said Michael Kayemba, a sophomore biology major.

“I want a student body president to fight and feel like he’s advocated for me. I want to see that effort, even if it fails.”

Kayemba said there should be more forums for students to discuss their concerns.

Will Leimenstoll, the student body president-elect, said he would consider emailing students about what student government is doing.

“Student government does the background work, and students don’t necessarily need to know that student government made something happen,” she said.

“A lot of the challenge is in communicating and how do we communicate what we do well, and how much do you want us to be in the back seat?”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.