Tom Low chosen as Student Union’s next president

The Student Union will soon see even more changes than its outward renovations, starting with a new president and online ticketing at the box office.

Junior Tom Low will take over as president in April and said he hopes to make the Union a more social place for students. He also wants to get more students involved in planning events through the Carolina Union Activities Board.

“The first thing I want to do is open up the meeting rooms to students during the day,” said Low, who will replace current president Cierra Hinton.

Lauren Sacks, assistant director for student learning and activities at the Union, said this would involve changing the process of registering for meeting rooms. Most of these rooms are locked during the day unless reserved by a specific group.

Low said he hopes to convert common areas of the Union currently used for quiet study, like the Aquarium Lounge, to places where students can hang out.

He also wants to spread awareness about how CUAB plans events, and encourages students to get involved in deciding how their student fees are spent.

“We have received a lot of criticism this year, and let me be the first to invite all students to participate in our event-planning process,” he said.

Low was chosen from four candidates following two interviews with the Union Board of Directors. As president, Low will preside over the board, which oversees the Union’s policies and budget, Sacks said. The group is composed of leaders from student organizations directly involved with the Union and faculty members.

He also will preside over the activities board, which plans events.

Low was selected a month earlier than usual to give him time to select the CUAB chair positions earlier, Sacks said.

“We’re really excited about the selection of the president a month early, so that there can be more planning for the fall and have more programs for the start of the year,” she said.

Students will soon be able to buy tickets from the Union’s box office online, as well as over the phone and in person.

Austin Gold, manager of the box office and information services, said he submitted a proposal to the board of directors to get the software needed for ordering tickets online by debit or credit card.

He hopes to implement online purchasing in the fall, and he expects a decision within the next month. He said he is confident that the Union supports the proposal.

“The Union has been working hard to be more accessible to students, and online ticketing is more accessible than a walk-up box office,” he said.

Gold said the physical ticket office will still sell tickets and perform other functions through the events management department.

“We’re just trying to catch up to the digital age of students.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.