Tools for success: UCS and students must work to improve employment services

UNC students have a invaluable resource at their disposal in University Career Services. Unfortunately, not enough of them make use of this resource.

Students should work together with Career Services as it strives to be even better at helping them find internships and jobs.

UCS does a thorough job making the career search easier on undergraduates and helps thousands of seniors find employment every year. It also sponsors a number of events to inform students about employment.

This past Wednesday, UCS sponsored a discussion about the present job market with Chancellor Holden Thorp and professor Buck Goldstein. This and other similar UCS events are perfect ways for students to gain an advantage in the job market.

UCS has a variety of useful tools at its disposal, such as the InterviewStream or Careerolina, but they can only be useful if students know they exist.

Students simply don’t know about the resources available to them.
UCS needs to put more effort into marketing its programs and tools so that students are more aware of them.

This means going beyond simple email updates and reminders. UCS could remodel its website or increase on-campus marketing.

Tim Stiles, associate director of UCS, said he was very open to discussing possible improvements to the services it provides and needs students to maintain a dialogue with UCS to ensure its programs are working.

Stiles mentioned making programs more sequential so that students can build on their skills with each program.

But none of the services is going to work if UCS does not increase its publicity and if students don’t provide constructive feedback.