UNC’s United Nations Organization hosts Model UN conference

This weekend, students from across the country came to Chapel Hill to prepare for the end of the world.

UNC’s United Nations Organization hosted its second annual college-level Model U.N. conference, debating global crises both fictional and historical.

Seven schools from as far away as Florida and Maryland attended, drawing 69 delegates and doubling the attendance from last year, said Amanda Conklin, secretary-general of the conference.

The weekend focused on global response to emergency situations, said Ernest Vallorz, crisis director for the conference.

“By focusing on theoretical situations, we want to allow delegates to focus on the big issues that are often ignored,” he said.

Topics ranged from a fictional apocalypse based on the work of Stephen King to a Roman council set during the Punic Wars.

“There’s so many topics you can do here — your imagination is limitless,” said Austin Root, a freshman working on the crisis staff.

Despite the unusual nature of the situations, each prompted discussion on a range of issues relevant to current events.

“(It) gets people to consider the big questions that are often neglected, such as liberty and security,” Vallorz said.

He said that even though UNC’s conference is new, the group is making a name for itself for innovation in its choice of hypothetical situations.

“We want to offer them something they won’t get anywhere else,” Vallorz said.

He said the group hopes to expand the conference to about 150 delegates within the next five years.

Organizers said schools from Ghana and Indonesia were interested in attending, but could not work out the logistics in time for the conference.

Two former U.N. employees spoke at the conference. Jerry Berke and Greg Flood held a variety of positions and together have more than 50 years of experience working with the United Nations.

Both stressed that there are many opportunities in the United Nations beyond politics, from scientists to lawyers.

For many students, Model U.N. is about more than just a career.

“It’s great that I’ve met so many people and gained a little bit of knowledge from each and every person,” said Santiago Scort, a freshman from Florida International University.

Anna Gage, president of UNC’s U.N. Organization, said she is already looking to expand the conference.

“Duke (University) has a beautiful conference,” she said, adding that she hopes to collaborate with its U.N. club in the future.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.