University Mall will have 9 empty storefronts

11025_0229_umall_barlettaf.jpg
Orange County Gymnastics Studio location in University Mall. Pictured in studio front photo is Lisa Hess, a coach to younger children.

When Tim and Jessica Baker purchased Orange County Gymnastics in Dec. 2011, the last thing they expected to find was their recently town-owned building to be ridden with mold and asbestos.

But after inspectors found health and safety concerns, the studio relocated to University Mall on a two-month lease.

As repairs were made to the original building, more problems emerged and renovations were stopped — and the Bakers were denied a longer lease at the mall, which is only zoned for retail.

“We either need to come up with $50,000 to upgrade the assembly code or we must move out by Feb. 29,” Jessica Baker said.

At Monday’s Chapel Hill Town Council meeting, the Bakers asked the town for help. Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt said town officials are surprised by the state of the building — and are working to find an alternative facility.

“I know this must have been absolutely horrible,” he said.

After the studio leaves today, the mall’s website shows that it will have nine open storefronts.

University Mall conditions

Peter DeLeon, University Mall general manager, said he is confident in the direction the mall is going, despite those vacancies.

“From a 30,000-foot perspective, we are experiencing hardships like the rest of the economy,” he said. “There’s been a small decrease in customer spending, specifically in luxury goods, but we are following national trends.”

University Mall recently refinanced for $16 million, which Madison Marquette managing director, Jay Lask, said is normal business procedure.

Lask also said the town library’s relocation to the mall has been a good traffic generator.

DeLeon said the mall has added more comfortable seating and indoor social spaces, but is still working to attract students.

He said he hopes new businesses like Scout and Molly’s and Red Bowl Asian Bistro will bring students.

L.A. Wagner, president of the North Carolina Hammock Co., which has a store in the mall, said his usual clientele is a mix of Chapel Hill residents.

“One reason for this is that not many students have $500 to $1,000 or more to spend on our furniture,” he said.

Ellie Davis, a freshman at UNC, said she prefers Southpoint, for its more mainstream stores.

“I just don’t feel like the shops at University Mall are affordable or age appropriate for college students,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com