Carrboro roads could change to improve safety

More than 20 Carrboro residents came out to Tuesday night’s Board of Aldermen meeting to voice concerns about one of the town’s most dangerous intersections.

At the meeting, the board received a crash analysis report from Town Transportation Planner Jeff Brubaker that revealed 20 reported crashes at the intersection of Jones Ferry and Davie Roads from November 2006 to October 2011.

The study was prompted by the high pedestrian and public-transit use of the intersection, as well as heavy commuter traffic.

“Nine thousand cars a day pass through this intersection,” Brubaker said.

The N.C. Department of Transportation and Triad Regional Traffic Engineers created a redevelopment plan to improve the safety of the intersection, but Brubaker said plans are still conceptual.

The plan includes new bike lanes, crosswalks and sidewalk space, as well as a reduction in the number of vehicle lanes.

The board also discussed the possibility of adding medians to the Abbey Court and Ridgewood Apartments frontages.

The discussion provoked concern from local residents, who fear changes in traffic patterns will affect neighborhood roads.

Carrboro resident Anissa McLendon of Alabama Avenue said at the meeting that she is concerned her cul-de-sac will become a turnaround if the median is built on Jones Ferry.

Although the cost of the project is still uncertain, Brubaker said the likelihood of the town receiving Spot Safety funding from the N.C. DOT is high, with a maximum of $250,000 available.

Some Aldermen expressed concerns about the appearance of one of Carrboro’s larger intersections.

“I’m concerned about tree loss on one of our major entrances to town if we implement (this)” Alderman Jackie Gist said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com