Fraudulent fracking email sent across NC

A fraudulent email sent by a group claiming to be the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources made rounds Tuesday to Triangle news agencies.

The false email contained a press release apologizing for a department draft report that stated hydraulic fracturing, a controversial method of natural gas extraction, could be safely implemented in North Carolina with proper regulations.

Lisa Sorg, editor at the Independent Weekly, received the email and was the first media person to contact the agency.

She said she was immediately suspicious.

“What alerted me the first time that the email was fraudulent was that the email didn’t include Secretary Dee Freeman’s name,” she said.

“The second was that this didn’t seem like something Freeman would have done. I have been doing this for 17 years, and I just knew something didn’t smell right.”

Sorg explained press releases typically contain a signature and contact number.

“This email had no contact information whatsoever,” she said.

Sorg attempted to trace the source of the email but couldn’t.

“It is one thing to have civil disobedience regarding fracking, but when it comes to misrepresentation, that is something I have a problem with ethically,” Sorg said. “I thought it was lame.”

Diana Kees, communications director for the department, said in addition to being contacted by Sorg, she saw a tweet from News 14 Anchor Tim Boyum conveying the false information.

She said she immediately contacted Boyum, who retweeted that the email was false.

Kees said nothing of this nature has occurred during her time with the agency and the department is not currently investigating the fraudulent email.

Staff at the Chapel Hill News, Chapelboro and The (Raleigh) News & Observer all said they did not receive the email but did receive the department’s warning.

Kees said there is no way to know what would have happened if the fraud hadn’t been caught.

“I don’t speculate on what ifs,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.