Broadening our idea of 'giving back': Private sector-bound graduates can have an impact, just like their service-oriented peers

As the final rounds of Teach for America interviews conclude, and it becomes clear just how many UNC seniors are committing to social justice-oriented programs and fellowships, students should take pride in their peers. UNC sends an outstanding number of graduates to distinguished fellowships like the Fulbright and social justice programs like TFA.

Many seniors, however, are denied admission to these selective programs and are unsure of their post-graduate path. But as they make the transition into the so-called “real world,” students must not forget that progress toward social equity and justice can be made in nearly any field.

For students who didn’t make the cut for TFA, there are a number of smaller programs that pack a powerful punch. AmeriCorps is just one example; each year, the organization offers 75,000 adults of all ages and backgrounds the opportunity to serve through a network of partnerships with local and national nonprofit organizations.

Whether your nonprofit employer works to make communities safer, give children a second chance or help protect the environment, smaller placements and personalized opportunities like AmeriCorps give graduating seniors the room to tailor their contributions to achieving social justice. Oftentimes, students find local nonprofits in need of assistance in their own communities and work to earn an AmeriCorps placement and stipend there.

On the other hand, if you have decided to pursue a career in the private sector or with one of America’s juggernauts of industry, do not lose sight of your opportunity to have a positive impact — within the system, working for “the man.”

Many private corporations, banks and consulting firms are investing in low-income communities or in projects giving back to the underserved. Many more are in need of updates to their codes of ethics or fresh perspectives on the impacts of their work.

As the UNC community prepares to send another class of graduates into the future, we should of course take time to celebrate those students who have committed themselves to service, community development and education.

But it is equally important that we take pride in those students committed to equitable innovation in the private sector and those finding — without fanfare — their own way to social justice.