Steam tunnel land use debated

Photo: Steam tunnel land use debated (Jenny Surane)
Ongoing construction on Pittsboro Street has drawn complaints from residents.

After almost four years of waiting, residents of the historic Cameron-McCauley district may finally see improvements on a tract of land the University has used during the construction of a steam tunnel.

Last week, Linda Convissor, UNC’s director of local relations, sent an email to residents saying officials would present alternative uses for the piece of land, which is located between McCauley Street and Cameron Avenue, at a meeting on April 19.

The piece of land was originally used as a pathway between the University and the Cameron Avenue and McCauley Street neighborhoods.

But neighbors say the land is now littered with giant concrete vents and unsightly shrubbery as construction of an updated steam tunnel — which channels steam from the UNC Cogeneration Facility to heat University buildings — draws to a close.

At the meeting, the design team will present the design options for the corridor, Convissor said in the email.

Bert Johnson, a resident with property adjacent to the land, said construction began in 2008 when the land was still lush and green.

“When the University came through, they used a scorched earth attitude and ripped out everything,” he said. “It has become something of an eyesore.”

Kurt Ribisl, president of the Westside Neighborhood Association and a professor at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, said most of the residents he has heard from want the land to be re-purposed into its original state – a clean, well-lit pathway to University buildings.

“Most of the residents I have heard from have wanted an accessible corridor, one that everyone feels safe walking on and one that looks nice,” he said.

Some residents have proposed different ideas for the corridor to the University.

“We have suggested a community garden, or maybe rerouting the bike path through that area,” Johnson said.

But despite multiple project proposals from residents, he said he still worries the University may decide to fence off the property and make it inaccessible to the public.

“That would be a real shame, because it wouldn’t be very attractive,” he said. “We just want to make sure the University does the right thing.”

Ribisl said residents are tired of waiting for the University to make a decision about the land, but he is glad to see them moving forward by proposing the meeting.

“Our neighborhood has endured a lot with the steam tunnel renovation,” he said. “And this is a relatively easy fix for us.”

The meeting will be held in the FedEx Global Education Center on the UNC campus at 5:30 p.m.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.