Trustees discuss AFAM, fundraising

Changes to administrative policy in response to academic fraud in the African and Afro-American Studies Department were presented to the Board of Trustees on Thursday.

Karen Gill, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said the changes are necessary to avoid any further issues involving academic fraud.

The changes will limit faculty to supervising only two independent study projects per semester,and require a contract signed by the student. Current policies on exams and grading in the department will also be altered.

“My reaction ranged from dismay to outrage and I know those sentiments are shared by every member of this board of trustees,” said Wade Hargrove, chair of the board. “The focus of the board now, and that of the chancellor, is making sure that this never happens again at this University.”

Along with passing these changes, the board indicated approval for the planning of a fundraising campaign proposed by Matt Kupec, vice chancellor for University advancement. The board asked Kupec to present a formal presentation at its next meeting in July.

“This is what the board is all about,” said John Townsend, vice-chair for the Budget, Finance & Audit Committee. “If we’re going to do this, let’s do it really well.”

The most recent fundraising campaign, Carolina First, ended in 2007, before Holden Thorp was hired as chancellor.