UNC students kicking their way through Chapel Hill

12216_0517_dribbling_across_state_keyf.jpg

From left: Dylan Simel, Sasha Seymore and Ahmad Saad dribble in front of the Old Well on Thursday as part of their trip across the state to raise awareness for religious tolerance. The three UNC sophomores founded “Kicking Across Carolina”.

Three UNC sophomores are about halfway from Asheville to Morehead City, and to setting a world record.

Ahmad Saad, Sasha Seymore and Dylan Simel, who are the founders of “Kicking Across Carolina”, are dribbling soccer balls more than 400 miles across the state.

The trio passed through Chapel Hill Thursday to dribble with friends and stop for a quick lunch at Cosmic Cantina.

“Just keep kicking, I guess that would be our official motto,” Simel said.

“Kicking Across Carolina” intends to raise awareness for religious tolerance and views soccer as a unifying force. Saad, Seymore and Simel practice Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, respectively.

The organization now supports three nonprofit charities: Soccer for Peace, the Maccabim Association and the Peres Center for Peace. All three groups help children in war-torn countries through soccer.

Planning the logistics of the trip and finding sponsors took most of the semester, but Simel said the cause is worth it.

“We’ve been speaking with people about the unifying power of soccer, regardless of their religious or cultural background,” Simel said.

Seymore said the group has spoken at churches in Elon, N.C., and Nebo, N.C., and has been invited to speak at a synagogue in Raleigh.

The group originally planned to dribble across the United States, but decided their trip across the state was more realistic.

“We’ve talked about organizing a ‘Kicking Across America’ next summer where participants could dribble across their community,” Simel said.

“We’re definitely starting a campus organization next year to get people involved.”