DSI brings 2 comedy shows together

Comedian Sara Schaefer said that her show tonight at the Dirty South Comedy Theater might be the last time anyone can see her perform at a small venue.

MTV just signed Schaefer’s television show, which features interviews, sketches and jokes. Schaefer said the show, hosted by her and comedian Nikki Glaser, will air either later this year or early next year.

“I’m hoping, not assuming, I’ll get big, but this might change the venues I’m performing in,” Schaefer said.

“Supposedly, a huge part of developing your stand up act is to take it on the road,” Schaefer said. “I’m not big enough yet to sell out stadiums or anything, so I did this kick-starter and it helped me support it.”

Shortly after Schaefer’s performance, performers from the Pink Collar Comedy Tour will take the stage.

The tour features comedians Kaytlin Bailey, Erin Judge, Carrie Gravenson and Abbi Crutchfield.

Bailey organized the tour and said she wanted to bring the comedians she met living in New York back to the Southeast, where she grew up.

“The tour has been like a road trip,” Bailey said. “It’s been a ton of fun.“

After graduating from the College of Charleston, Bailey worked for a progressive political consulting firm, while performing comedy in her spare time. Bailey quit her job in 2010, moved to New York City and began performing comedy full time.

“I took a leap of faith, moved to New York, and never looked back,” Bailey said.

“There were a million things I wanted to do with my life, and I decided I should do the riskiest, craziest dream first, while I’m young,” Bailey said. “And if it doesn’t work out, I’ll do something more boring.”

“I talk a lot about my life; it’s very self-deprecating, but it’s very fun,” Schaefer said. “I like to have fun when I’m on stage, and I try to get people to relate to what I’m thinking and feeling at the same time.”

Bailey said each of the Pink Collar Comedy Tour performers brings a unique style to their performances.

“Every audience we’ve had laughed so hard it was practically an ab workout,” Bailey said.

“I don’t insult people in the audience, if that’s something they’re concerned about,” Schaefer said. “I’ll actually stick around after the show and make eye contact with people.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.