UNC sophomore Emilio Vicente has been living in the country for 14 years as an undocumented immigrant, and soon he might get the chance to get to work here.

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano announced a new policy last week that will allow undocumented immigrants younger than 30 to apply for two years of deferred action from removal proceedings.

Vicente said he’s hopeful that the policy change will help students who have been in the country for a long time. But he said he is waiting to see how the program works.

The federal attempt to help undocumented immigrants has been met with mixed emotions by many students. Some have reacted by throwing parties, others by holding protests.

“There have been similar policy announcements in the past and not much has actually happened,” Vicente said. “I don’t want to give it too much hope, because if nothing happens, then it would have been for nothing.”

Under the new policy, undocumented immigrants will be permitted to apply for work authorization. The policy takes effect on Aug. 14.

But like many other undocumented immigrants, Vicente said he is skeptical about whether the policy is political rhetoric or something more meaningful.

Peter Ashman, an immigration attorney and spokesman for the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said there could be as many as 10,000 students attending a party in Las Vegas to celebrate the new policy.

He said he has spoken to dozens of students, many of whom are jubilant about the changes.

“The mood is very upbeat and very excited,” Ashman said.

“This solution is not perfect, but it is a down payment on immigration reform.”

But not everyone is excited about the changes.

Viridiana Martinez, co-founder and community organizer of the N.C. DREAM Team, which advocates for development, relief and education for undocumented minors, said the measure falls short.

She said the policy mirrors previous policies meant to make deportation of young people a lower priority.

“This is just a policy announcement,” Martinez said.

“We’re asking for an executive order where there is no grey area.”

She said previous policy announcements did not prevent the deportation of at least 70 students who met the criteria.

The N.C. DREAM Team plans to continue lobbying at President Barack Obama’s campaign offices until the deportation of undocumented immigrants who were brought to the country as minors ends.

Ashman said the policy change should be the start of a comprehensive immigration reform measure, rather than the end.

“Once we see that the sky is not going to fall, it is going to give Congress a chance to see if this policy should be made into law,” Ashman said.

Martinez said there should be a sense of urgency among lawmakers in reforming the immigration system.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.