All Up In Your Business, Aug. 27

Part of a monthly update on local businesses

All up in your business
All up in your business

A new place to pregame

Another Franklin Street restaurant has entered the late-night food scene.

Chris McCracken, general manager of Hot Dogs & Brew, a specialty hot dog joint at 169 E. Franklin St., said he hopes the restaurant will become popular among students.

“Our hope is to turn it into a place to pregame, somewhere where students can get a cheap brew and good grub,” McCracken said. “Our Tuesday late nights have been very solid business-wise.”

The restaurant, which opened in July, offers Chapel Hill students and residents a place to go for a beer and a hot dog.

It offers a variety of menu items, including vegetarian dogs, bacon-wrapped hot dogs and pitchers of beer, McCracken said.

“I’d say our number one is that it’s all fresh, and the prices are a good value,” he said.

On Tuesday, the restaurant is open until 3 a.m. and sells all hot dogs and sides for $1.50.

Fashionistas flock to new store

Franklin Street fashionistas in search of a bargain have a new place to shop.

Clothes Hound, an affordable women’s apparel store located at 145 E. Franklin St., opened its doors last week.

The store aims to keep prices low by selling all its items for less than $100, said store manager Louise Gibbons.

“We sell the latest trends and great basics for everyday wear at a really great price point,” she said.

In addition to bringing trendy clothes to Chapel Hill, the store supports animal safety and adoption organizations, like the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Clothes Hound will host charitable events twice a month like it does at its Raleigh location, Gibbons said.

During its first month open, Clothes Hound is offering 10 percent off purchases for all customers who like its Facebook page.

New charging stations open

Four electric car-charging stations were installed in Hillsborough in July, bringing Orange County’s total to 16 stations.

Four of the stations — which are free of charge during the introductory period — are on W. Franklin Street.

“I’ve believed in the electrification movement really since the energy price surge,” said Ryan Turner, a UNC employee and Chevy Volt owner who uses the charging stations.

“For me, it’s more about reducing dependence on oil, decreasing our foreign trade deficit and increasing national security.”

The stations are funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

“We’re excited that people are embracing the technology and more sustainable lifestyle,” said Jeff Thompson, an engineer at Orange County Asset Management Services. “We’re just tickled to death that there is a group at UNC for this.”