The campus is collectively breathing a sigh of relief after the Carolina Union Activities Board finally listened to students’ grievances. It was announced late this past weekend that Fayetteville rapper J. Cole would be the headlining performer at this year’s Homecoming concert.

Many students complained last fall when The New Pornographers were booked for Homecoming 2011. The concert sold only 700 tickets, accounting for 16 percent of total available tickets. CUAB lost $63,000 on the concert.

Although CUAB is spending the maximum amount for J. Cole that it was willing to spend, $105,000, putting out for one major event makes more sense than spending too much on multiple events, such as on LDOC concerts.

CUAB does not often spend top dollar on one main event, but bringing a mainstream artist to Chapel Hill should boost the group’s revenue.

New CUAB president Tom Low said he wanted to increase the students’ voices in the board’s decisions. The J. Cole choice resulted from suggestions via email and through students tallying on a whiteboard.

CUAB should engage further with students for more feedback in ways that are even more accessible and publicized, such as through a prominent online poll, not just via a whiteboard and email.

However, good booking decisions are not solely the job of CUAB; the student body must also give feedback so that the board knows what to do.