In an amicus brief, the University sided with diversity

The University has submitted an amicus curiae brief to the Supreme Court case of Fisher v. University of Texas-Austin.

The case addresses UT-Austin’s policy for using race to evaluate applicants who are not guaranteed admission by being in the top 10 percent of their graduating class.

The brief urges the Supreme Court to side with UT-Austin by upholding the constitutionality of including race as a limited factor in the holistic consideration of candidates for admission.

The University did well by publicly supporting this policy. Submitting an amicus brief to the court isn’t the boldest of moves — there’s little to lose and much to gain — but the principle remains.

The University administration’s public image has been far from rosy of late, and there is value in improving that image.

Since the University relies upon the N.C. General Assembly — and ultimately the public — for its funding, appearances count.

But just because the timing is good doesn’t mean the brief is just for show.

A more diverse student body means a more diverse discourse — and more opportunities to challenge students’ preconceived notions. This is a fundamentally collegiate phenomenon.

A university that doesn’t provide such an atmosphere of discussion is shortchanging its students.

And while the Texas admission policy in question remains controversial, the UNC administration’s action to protect the collective interests of its student body helps restore the University’s integrity.

We wholeheartedly approve of the University’s activism in this case. It would be even better if the University were to be so public and forthright in its handling of other controversial issues.