Q&A With Katherine Perry

12968_katieperrytnailf.jpg

Katherine Perry tied for eighth in the 2011 NCAA Championship and led the Tar Heels to finish in 10th place.

_Junior golfer Katherine Perry returns to Chapel Hill after a busy summer.

In May, Perry was one of two UNC women golfers to qualify for the U.S. Women’s Open. She landed a spot in the Open by tying for first at a sectional qualifier in Sanford, where she shot a 2-over 146. She shared the win with Cheyenne Woods.

With summer over, Perry is back to balancing school and golf. This is the first installment of a series diving into the student aspects of being a student athlete._

Daily Tar Heel: What is your major?

Katherine Perry: Exercise and Sport Science and Psychology.

DTH: Why those two?

KP: I just thought they were the most interesting out of the majors offered, and I hope one day I can be a pediatric nurse.

DTH: Do you live on campus or off?

KP: I lived on campus as a freshman and a sophomore. I lived in Koury my first year and Ram Village my second year.

DTH: How exactly did you end up coming to North Carolina?

KP: It had been a dream of mine ever since I was little, really. I grew up a Tar Heel fan — my uncle and I would watch all the games. So I really just hoped to get recruited here, and I did, thankfully.

DTH: How many hours are you taking this semester?

KP: I’m taking 15 hours. It’s a little busy. The past semesters the most I’ve taken is 14. It’s a lot easier in the fall to take more than it is in the spring because we’re a lot busier then. We take classes in the morning and do practice in the afternoon. As long as we can schedule it that way, it works out.

DTH: What’s your favorite part about being a Tar Heel?

KP: Probably just being a part of the Tar Heel family. It’s like having a second family away from home. You can always count on your teammates to always be there for you. And just being part of the University as well, and the Carolina Way.

DTH: Do you have a favorite spot on campus?

KP: Just the golf course. You can go out and play nine and clear your head out.