Quickhits for Aug. 23, 2012

Cole world

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

J. Cole! At UNC! Obviously, everybody is entitled to their own taste in music, but it’s pretty clear that this year’s act elicited a lot more excitement than last year’s New Pornographers. And if you can get people more excited than a bunch of Pornographers can, you have to be doing something right.

Wendy’s

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

The only thing better than Wendy’s is a Wendy’s that doesn’t even look like a Wendy’s. You can now stuff a few Baconators down your throat in a restaurant that looks more like a chic bistro than the purveyor of deep-fried, artery-clogging, nap-inducing goodness that Wendy’s truly is.

This weather

It sucks that FallFest got cancelled, but honestly wouldn’t you prefer this cloudy, rainy business over spending the first 20 minutes of every class silently praying to stop sweating? Or even worse, silently praying for the guy next to you on the bus to embrace the modern marvel that is deodorant.

Party pooper

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

A capella groups received a stern talking to from the Union following their impromptu concert in the Pit. Nothing says “Welcome to Carolina!” quite like yelling at artists for trying to make people happy. So next time you’re humming to yourself as you walk through the Pit, keep your eyes peeled for the fun police.

Congressman Akin

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

The congressman claimed that a woman’s body has certain mechanisms which prevent “legitimate” rape from causing pregnancy. As offensive, idiotic and infuriating as this comment may have been, at least we’ve hit rock bottom for public elected official misogyny. It can’t possibly get worse, right? Right?!

More on Akin

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Still, you have to hand it to him. Not every congressman has the chutzpah to promote a dangerous, hateful lie, refuse to drop out of the race, and then ask his Twitter followers to publicly support him. Now that’s the sort of compassionate, selfless candidate that Americans are looking for!