Register to have a voice

Students have no excuse not to fulfill their civic duty.

Four years ago, North Carolina helped make Barack Obama the first African-American president in U.S. history by a 14,000 vote margin, giving millions of Americans a sense of hope and optimism about the future of our country.

However, the United States is still embroiled in economic instability coupled with a wide range of daunting social issues that either President Obama or former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will have to contend with come January.

With polling showing a close race between the two presidential candidates, both nationally and in North Carolina, it’s obvious that the state will once again be an important battleground.

There’s too much at stake not to vote. Regardless of your partisan leanings, voting is the one direct way you can affect this election’s outcome. To do this, you must first register to vote.

If you are new to Chapel Hill and plan to vote in Orange County this fall, voter registration forms are available at any local library, post office, etc., Forms are also readily available upon request from the College Republicans and Young Democrats. Fill out the form with your most up to date information, and mail it to the Orange County Board of Elections at least 25 days prior to Nov. 6.

If you have moved, then update your registration on a new voter registration form and mail it to the Orange County Board of Elections. Regardless of whether you are an in-state or out-of-state student, UNC students are eligible to vote in North Carolina.

Registering to vote is quick and easy. With more than two weeks of one-stop early voting in North Carolina before Election Day, there’s no excuse not to make your voice heard. Register early, vote early and vote often.