A newly-implemented area code requirement has caused accidental 911 calls and hang ups to skyrocket in emergency call centers across the area.

Since March 31, residents of counties in the Triangle have been required to include a 919 area code when dialing phone numbers.

But for many, dialing a 919 area code resulted in a misdial where 911 was actually dialed.

Operations Manager Dinah Jeffries of the Orange County Emergency Services Telecommunications Center said EMS operators have seen a roughly 100 percent increase in 911 misdials and hang ups since the requirement took effect.

She said Orange County EMS usually gets about 1,500 hang ups per month, but that number has increased to about 3,500 per month since the requirement was implemented in March.

The requirement is the result of the area’s increase in the number of phone numbers, which have outgrown the capacity of the 919 area code.

A new 984 area code will soon be implemented to accommodate the increasing telephone numbers. Rather than change existing phone numbers, new phone numbers will be given a 984 area code.

Because of this strategy, locations next door to one another could have different area codes.

The problem for communication centers begins when callers hang up after misdialing and don’t stay on the line to explain that they are not in trouble.

Jeffries said if a person hangs up, operators are required to call the number back to assess the situation.

If there is no answer on a land line, they have to dispatch EMS or police resources.

But wireless calls are harder to assess, she said.

While resources are not required to be dispatched in the event of wireless hang ups, the communications center does call back and try to assess if there is any danger.

“You have to go back because you don’t know what’s involved,” Jeffries said.

Orange County EMS Director Frank Montes de Oca said misdials and hang ups can be a problem, but Orange County has not seen the spike in hang-ups that the Raleigh-Wake Emergency Communications Center has experienced.

Raleigh-Wake EMS saw incoming 911 calls increase from 38,510 calls in February to 44,444 calls in March.

Because of the spike, Raleigh launched its Keep an Eye on the Finger campaign in order to raise awareness about the issue.

Montes de Oca said they have been working with agencies to create an education program in Orange County.

“Public education is how we keep people aware,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.