Vice Chancellor and Provost Bruce Carney puts resignation on hold

Much like his boss, Bruce Carney just wants to teach.

Lost in the upheaval surrounding Chancellor Holden Thorp’s decision, made public Monday, to step down in June is the fact that Carney, the executive vice chancellor and provost, might now have to stay in a job he never wanted for even longer.

After filling two interim positions in his career at the University and serving as provost for two years at Thorp’s request, Carney announced in August that he would step down in June.

Those plans are now on hold. Carney said he will make the best of it.

“Even if I stayed on longer here, (teaching) is still an option,” he said.

Carney stepped in as interim provost in 2009. Before that, in 2008, he served as interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

The search for Carney’s replacement will be put on hold until next year, when members of the chancellor search committee complete their search.

Once a new chancellor is chosen, he or she will direct the search for a new provost.

Don Curtis, a member of the UNC Board of Trustees, said the board will discuss filling the positions at its meeting Thursday, even though members are trying to change Thorp’s mind.

Ron Strauss, executive vice provost and chief international officer, said the provost search would resume with the new chancellor.

“Provosts function best when they enjoy the full confidence and support of the chancellor,” Strauss wrote in an email.

Carney said the chancellor has the final say in selecting a new provost because the provost reports to the chancellor.

“In the normal course of events, if the chancellor decides to leave, the provost stays on for a while,” he said.

“When our new chancellor arrives, I assume that we’ll talk about my future.”

Carney said in a previous interview that appointing an interim provost would be a logical plan.

“The new chancellor may wish to appoint an interim provost so that I could return to my home department, or ask me to stay on while the search for a new provost gets underway,” he said.

Carney said if the new chancellor asks him to stay on, he will consider it based on the circumstances.

“The goal is to do what I can to help the University,” Carney said. “If staying on a bit longer is the right thing to do, I’ll do that.”

“I would embrace it.”

Carney said he and Thorp have discussed what they would like to accomplish by the end of the year.

“He wants to take care of problems that have been identified so the new chancellor can come in with a new slate,” Carney said.

Strauss said he hopes Carney will remain provost until a replacement takes over.

“His steady guidance would make a real difference as UNC transitions to a new administrative leadership.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.