Death of ‘Ma D’ marks end of era

There have been many world-famous UNC basketball legends — but on Friday, the program lost a legend of a different kind.

UNC UNC

“It was a very important part of her life,” said her son James Dempsey III.

She died Friday morning in her sleep at Wilson Pines Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. She was 90.

Dempsey, who preferred to be called “Tassie,” became close with many UNC players and coaches while serving her famous fried chicken at tailgates.

Dempsey first became a Tar Heel fan through her husband, James Dempsey Jr., who briefly attended UNC and became a friend of head coach Frank McGuire during the 1950s.

James Dempsey III said that one day in 1963, head coach Dean Smith asked her to make a picnic of fried chicken and meat loaf sandwiches for a visiting basketball prospect.

A tradition was born, and for as long as it was allowed under NCAA rules, Katharine Dempsey would serve her fried chicken to visiting prospects and current players.

James Dempsey III said that she cooked food for the football team at every home game for 30 years.

“I’m sure that if any recruit ever tasted her fried chicken, it was a shoo-in,” said Eric Montross, a former UNC player.

“Coach Smith was always pretty smart with that when it came to recruiting.”

Katharine Dempsey shared a birthday with Smith, and would celebrate with Smith and friends.

Woody Durham, former play-by-play announcer for UNC basketball and football games, also knew Dempsey.

“The best way to describe her is that she was a genuine southern lady,” he said.

Dempsey occasionally traveled with the team to tournaments, serving players food she cooked out of her suite after games.

In addition to being a basketball fan, she was also active at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Wilson and was devoted to her children and grandchildren, James Dempsey III said.

“She was a beautiful woman, she was a kind woman, she was a smart woman, and just as attractive as you can be — just fun to be with all the time,” he said.

UNC basketball head coach Roy Williams wrote in a statement via email that Dempsey was a great friend to players and coaches.

“Her care and elegance will never be forgotten,” he wrote.

Montross said her impact on North Carolina basketball was unforgettable.

“She was one of the sweetest people you could ever come across — it was a warm hug, it was a warm plate of food, it was just the fact that she always had the fabulous smile — that was her,” Montross said.

“She was a Carolina gem.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.