Discussing the Debt

13930_0926_bowlessimpson_perryf.jpg

Erskine Bowles (left) and Alan Simpson (right) give a frank talk at Wake Forest University about the nation’s multitrillion dollar debt.

Former UNC-system President Erskine Bowles continued to call for a bipartisan push to reduce the $16-trillion national deficit during a speech at Wake Forest University Tuesday.

Bowles, who led the system from 2006 to 2010 and served as former President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff, partnered with former Republican Sen. Alan Simpson to present “The American Debt and Deficit Crisis: Issues and Solutions.”

The program, which filled the 2,250-seat Wait Chapel on Wake Forest’s campus, is part of the Campaign to Fix the Debt, a national effort led by Bowles and Simpson.

Bowles and Simpson have worked as a team since 2010, when President Barack Obama asked them to chair the bipartisan National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform.

The one-year commission sought to reduce the national debt by $4 trillion in a decade.

Although the commission’s work featured equal support from Republican and Democratic members, many of its recommendations were not passed in Congress’s final budget in 2011.

Gradual but effective deficit reduction is essential, Bowles told the audience. He outlined the ideas behind the Simpson-Bowles Plan, which includes cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and defense spending, as well as tax code reforms.

“We need to reduce the size of the government down to what it was during the Bill Clinton administration,” he said.

Bowles noted that all of the money spent in the past year on infrastructure, education and research in the U.S. was borrowed, mostly from foreign countries.

“These deficits are like a cancer,” he said.

Simpson said the public has trouble conceiving the magnitude of the country’s debt.

“Nobody understands what a trillion is,” Simpson said.

Bowles praised Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., who was in attendance, for his ability to put politics aside and work across party lines in the deficit reduction debate.

“Richard has been a real leader for this state,” Bowles said.

Burr affirmed his commitment to working for bipartisan compromise in Congress to reduce the debt — no matter which presidential candidate wins this November.

“The 2,000 people here were just exposed to a reality (about the deficit). The timeline is short, the mission is hard, but it’s got to be done, now,” he said in an interview.

Wake Forest senior Tyler Slezak said even though he’s a Republican, he found it refreshing to hear two parties have such a constructive discussion.

“They were giving people real solutions,” Slezak said.

Contact the desk editor at

state@dailytarheel.com.