As North Carolina prepares to face in-state rival East Carolina, there will be some new faces leading the charge.

Linebacker Tommy Heffernan and running back Romar Morris embraced their increased responsibilities in last week’s game against Louisville, making the most of the opportunity.

Heffernan started his first game at linebacker against Louisville, replacing Travis Hughes. He played a large part in the defense’s impressive second half performance, flying sideline to sideline with his mane whipping behind him.

Heffernan said it wasn’t until the second half that he truly settled in — a theme that seemed common throughout UNC’s defense.

“I started feeling a lot more comfortable,” Heffernan said.

“Instead of worrying about making mistakes, it was like, ‘All right, I’m going to go make plays now.’”

On Louisville’s first drive of the second half, Heffernan sacked the elusive Cardinal quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater. Later in the drive he stuffed running back Senorise Perry on a critical fourth down that kept the Tar Heels in the game.

Heffernan finished the game with 13 total tackles.

“All along I knew he was a great backer — just never got the opportunity,” linebacker Kevin Reddick said.

“All he has to do now is continue to ball and run away with it.”

Heffernan, a Miami native, said that he has worked to do just that this week in practice, so he can solidify his starting role on Saturday.

“It makes me work even harder because it’s just a little taste, and it makes me more hungry,” Heffernan said. “That’s only one game over a long season, and I have two more years after that.

“I want to be able to be on the field and do whatever I can do every Saturday.”

But Heffernan wasn’t the only Tar Heel who had a coming out party against Louisville. Redshirt freshman running back Romar Morris has been thrust into a larger role with the injury of Giovani Bernard.

Morris caught five passes for 149 yards and two touchdowns, earning him ACC Receiver of the Week honors. Morris also added 23 yards on the ground.

In the fourth quarter, Morris also found a hole in Louisville’s punt protection and blocked a punt, putting UNC in prime position to score.

After his performance against Louisville earned him accolades, Morris said his teammates have tried to inflate his ego.

“The team’s trying to give me a big head, but I’m just trying to stay focused, stay humble and remember how I got here,” Morris said.

ECU has its own fresh face in quarterback Shane Carden, who will make his second career start against UNC.

Carden threw for 171 yards and one touchdown in his first start for the Pirates, resulting in a 24-14 win.

Reddick, who blitzed on 40 of Louisville’s 71 plays last week, doesn’t plan on letting Carden continue a smooth adjustment to his starting role.

“Oh yeah, I’m coming,” Reddick said. “I’m coming this week more than last week, so be ready.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.