Women’s studies

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

A recent study found that female scientists receive fewer job opportunities and less funding than their male colleagues, even when females were making the decisions. This sucks — duh — and something should be done about it. Maybe start by not leering at every woman who enters a physics lab?

Carolina in my bed

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Playboy recently declared UNC’s sex life to be the best of any college in the country. One of the factors Playboy included in its highly rigorous analysis was how politically progressive Tar Heel women are. After all, there’s nothing sexier than arguing about equitability of tax bracketing. Did it just get hot in here?

Touchdownish

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Just when we all thought the NFL referee situation was absurd as it was gonna get, Monday night happened. The Seahawks won the game on a miraculous Hail Mary catch that wasn’t actually a catch. In retrospect, Roger Goodell making blindfolds a mandatory part of the referee uniform was probably kinda stupid.

Go Heels, Go ‘Murca

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

This Saturday, the Tar Heels will don some decadently patriotic helmets against Idaho. The helmets, which feature a red, white and blue N.C. logo, not only honor our men and women in the service but look totally badass too. Now if only we could just get a bald eagle to perch on Larry Fedora’s shoulder…

Mapple

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

With iOS 6, Apple replaced the Google maps on their phones with maps Apple had made themselves. The maps are full of errors and glitches, much to the chagrin of their users. Samsung tried to make their own maps, but Apple sued them claiming they had patented the entire surface of the Earth.

TOPO vodka

Top of the Hill recently began selling its own brand of vodka called “TOPO.” The vodka is locally distilled, which is always good, but its also a wee bit pricey at $28.95 for a fifth. Then again, even if you have to drink alone you can at least claim to have had an “awesome TOPO experience this weekend.”