UNC womens volleyball beats Duke in five sets

After two hours, five sets and 10 lead changes, the North Carolina volleyball team defeated Duke 3-2, putting the rivalry’s all-time record at 56-45 in UNC’s favor.

Coach Joe Sagula said the two teams matched up evenly in statistics, but that he noticed one area was lagging in the first set.

“The biggest adjustment we had to make early in the match was blocking,” Sagula said. “In the first set, we did not block well at all. We had to move our blockers out and be faster in the middle, have a little quicker tempo ball there.”

But the match became a block party in the third set when UNC had five team blocks.

The Tar Heels topped the Blue Devils in kills and team blocks with 73 and 15, respectively, while Duke’s defense got more digs.

Sagula said he also varied the lineup to bring energy to his team, but in the final set it was seniors like Emily McGee who led the Tar Heels to a 15-7 finish.

“It was a long match but (Sagula) has us prepare every day in practice to focus,” McGee said. “So you try to refocus after every point and give it your all — especially that fifth game when you know it’s only 15 points.”

“It’s so quick but, you know, you have to leave it all out on the line for your team.”

McGee had 15 kills and three service aces. Redshirt sophomore Chaniel Nelson also had 15 kills.

Nelson had another big game with a team-high 10 kills in the 3-0 win against Wake Forest Friday.

Junior Kayla Berringer led the team with 16 kills against Duke.
But it wasn’t all about the numbers for Berringer, who said the crowd helped keep her energized for the rivalry match.

“Anytime you play Duke you have to go after it — they’re not going to give it to us,” Berringer said. “So for me, that was my whole mindset.”

“I was going to go after it, and I was going to swing and try to get a kill on every ball.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.