Campaign workers to stay on campus to inform, sway voters

Students heading to Rams Head Dining Hall — which is doubling as UNC’s early voting location — can expect to be greeted by a multitude of signs, shouting campaign workers and sample ballots in an attempt to both inform and sway voters.

And the election frenzy is not likely to end before the Nov. 6 election day.

Campaign workers — and candidates themselves — view campaigning at sites for in-person early voting, which runs until Nov. 3, as one of their last chances to influence voters before they head inside the polling booth.

Dave Carter, the Republican candidate for N.C. Senate District 23, positioned himself outside Rams Head Monday to converse with students and residents.

“I’ve been bouncing from one place to another trying to meet everyone I can,” he said. “I’ve knocked on thousands of doors, it seems like, and I’ve called a lot of people, but I haven’t actually been in front of a lot of people. Getting to the voting places helps me do that.”

Carter is employing this strategy throughout the district. He said he’s traveling to meet with voters in multiple locations in Chatham and Orange Counties, both in District 23.

Campaign workers for President Barack Obama were also stationed outside of Rams Head to make a final pitch to voters.

Hakeem Baker, a Chapel Hill resident who voted early, said that though he knew going in his choices for all positions on the ballot, having candidates outside the polling place could be helpful.

“It helps out because if (early voters) don’t know, then it shows them and tells them, but then they could go look it up themselves too,” he said.

For students like Danny Rosenberg, local issues and races are less familiar.

“I’ve only been here for the three-and-a-half years I’ve been at UNC,” he said. “I haven’t kept up with local issues quite as much. I did see the voter guide in the paper today so I was going to check that out.”

But he said candidates campaigning in front of polling places would not affect his vote, and for the most part, he knows whom he will vote for on the ballot.

“Certainly for president, maybe not quite as solid of an idea on the local candidates,” he said. “I probably won’t vote for a candidate I don’t know much about.”

As of Monday, 11,001 Orange County residents have voted early. About 5,700 more registered Democrats have voted than Republicans, while more than 2,500 unaffiliated voters have completed ballots.

In-person early voting will continue at Rams Head weekdays from noon to 7 p.m. and on Saturday, Nov. 3 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Several campaigns say they will continue to have volunteers throughout campus.

In a state that is considered a battleground for the presidential election — and with less well-known local candidates — campaign workers say every vote will matter.

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.