Chilly weather and rain doesn't stop Chapel Hill's annual Festifall

14163_1008_festifall3_mendozaf.jpg
Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba perform at Festifall. The band's music is based on Manding tradition.

Unseasonably chilly temperatures and rain couldn’t stop local residents from coming out to Chapel Hill’s 40th annual Festifall on Sunday.

Wes Tilghman, Chapel Hill supervisor of festivals and community events, organized the annual gathering of local art, music and food — a fall staple in Chapel Hill.

“Each year, you always try to improve. This year, we are trying to incorporate more interactions with nature,” Tilghman said.

He anticipated this year’s Festifall to be the most lively to date.

The event was expected to accommodate more than 100 artists and attract more than 15,000 locals and visitors to the blocked-off section of West Franklin Street. It lasted from about noon to 6 p.m.

While rain hampered early attendance of both vendors and guests, Michael Konvicka was one vendor who braved the weather.

Konvicka, a Durham resident, sold hand-dyed garments at his Terra Clotha booth in his second year as a Festifall vendor.

He said he noticed the weather’s impact on attendance.

“Some fellow vendors might not even show up today due to the weather, but I like to come to Chapel Hill,” he said early Sunday afternoon. “It is always a good crowd.”

Despite the weather, about 80 vendors lined the street, offering local art, food and community safety information.

“We have worked to re-brand the event and create new ideas and thoughts to gain more local and even regional attendance,” Tilghman said.

Nikki Roscoe, a public policy major at UNC who attended the event to promote UNC Dance Marathon, said she enjoyed the performances she saw.

Local groups gave live music, dance and aerial art performances, some of which included an acrobatic style called flow art.

“The flow art is the best. There is no reason for me to get a degree from UNC when I can do flow art,” Roscoe joked.

As the event progressed, attendance improved — and so did the festive atmosphere.

One of the busiest booths was the North Carolina Symphony’s Instrument Zoo, where Kimberly Little — the symphony’s group sales and promotions coordinator — showed children how to play musical instruments.

“I am surprised that the weather has held up, but I am not surprised that the people of Chapel Hill are out to enjoy the event,” Little said.

“We want to get more involved in Chapel Hill. I think we will be successful in doing so here.”

Seasonal events like Festifall have long been a tradition in Chapel Hill.

Apple Chill=, the town’s former springtime event, was cancelled in 2006 after 30 years.

Carolyn Doyle, a vendor for the Orange County Artists Guild, said she is glad Festifall has endured.

“Festifall is more of an informative and community-based event. It is a family event,” she said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.