Johnny’s may close, tries to resolve conflict with neighbors

14209_1010_johnnysz_mendozaf.jpg
Susan Siplon helps customer, Megan Mccurley, at the register of Johnny's Cafe. Johnny's Cafe provides local produce, beer, and products.

Editors Note: Due to a reporting error, a previous version of this story quoted Meghan Truesdell as saying, “We gave up amplified music outside, and we gave up outside alcohol, which is huge.” Truesdell said they gave up onsite alcohol, not outside. The story also said Truesdell said the store will begin mediation with neighbors at the Dispute Settlement Center to find a compromise. She said they are open to mediation, though it is still unclear whether they will pursue it. The article also implied that Truesdell described mediation as a moving target. She described neighbors’ concerns, such as onsite alcohol, as a moving target. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the errors and any confusion.

When a local high school student wanted to have an art opening at Johnny’s in Carrboro, neighbors were opposed — not to the event, but to Johnny’s pushing its limits as a business in a residential zone.

Such complaints have become commonplace for the cafe, which is preparing to engage in mediation with neighbors in an attempt to resolve the issue.

Johnny’s is a small cafe and general store at 901 W. Main St. Opened as a bait-and-tackle shop in 1947, it was grandfathered into the surrounding residential zone as a business.

Johnny’s wants to be a place for residents to gather, but neighbors are worried its events and gatherings will contribute to noise and parking issues in the area.

Meghan Truesdell, an owner of Johnny’s, said this opposition has caused Johnny’s to lose money.

“We gave up amplified music outside, and we gave up outside alcohol, which is huge,” she said.

Truesdell said Johnny’s will begin mediation with the neighbors at the Dispute Settlement Center to find a compromise, but the date has not been set.

“We’re happy to do it, but we’re not quite sure what is going to come out of it,” she said. “It’s like a moving target.”

She said Johnny’s cannot hold any sort of events, including wine tastings, a craft market or any sort of classes or talks.

She said she and another owner of Johnny’s, Duncan Morgan, are asking for a permit that will allow them to host events.

“We’re, like, the most non-controversial place ever,” Truesdell said. “We are just trying to stay alive.”

Dorothea Heitsch, who lives behind Johnny’s, said she supports Johnny’s but worries the business is going too far.

“I think most people love to have that in their backyard,” she said. “It just got out of hand.”

Heitsch said she always knows when Johnny’s is playing music or having gatherings — even indoors — because she can hear it from her house.

“Everybody is supportive of having a business there,” she said. “The issue is really public gathering.”

Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton said he frequents Johnny’s but understands residents’ fears that it will turn into a public safety issue.

“Our conclusion was that it would be best for everybody involved to attempt to go to mediation,” he said.

Truesdell said they will work with neighbors but find it hard to appease everyone.

And she isn’t sure Johnny’s can stay in business if it doesn’t reach an agreement with neighbors.

“We may not make it if we can’t get this stuff done in the next couple of months,” she said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.