UNC is researching how concussions can be prevented in sports, particularly football. While this research has been helpful — and it will continue to be in the long run — it is the responsibility of players who experience these injuries to change the culture around playing with concussions.

Concussed players should take themselves out of the game, even if they are up against pressure to play anyway.

UNC Department of Exercise and Sport Science Chairman Kevin Guskiewicz has worked to push UNC to the forefront of concussion research.

The University uses advanced Head Impact Telemetry system technology that serves as a way to influence NFL and NCAA policy. However, there is much more than just research that should play a factor in reducing concussions.

It is admirable to have players risk their bodies for the University and the game they love, but many times they are hurting themselves more than helping their team.

At the Division I level, athletes tend to be ultra-competitive, but that shouldn’t mean sacrificing their health.

The University could bring in former players who are suffering from long-term concussion effects to speak. Personal anecdotes can be powerful tools to emphasize to players the importance of being honest about injuries.

UNC should be proud of its research on head injuries, but it should also push for a culture shift. The only people that can change the current culture are the players themselves.